Monday, March 2, 2009

We All Start Somewhere

Over in one of the art forums I frequent, someone asked for a show of "ourselves through the years" as artists. I had a lot of fun going through my old art books, school books and stray pieces of paper. I consider myself pretty fortunate that my Mom saved a binder full of my grade one school work - and that is where I found my earliest drawings.

I have been obsessed with horses longer than I can remember, and going through that old binder and a few grade two school books I had to laugh - there were horses drawn everywhere I could find white space. So yes, I have been drawing since I could hold a pencil, and I've been drawing horses just as long. I also found a long forgotten illustrated story I wrote when I was in grade two or three called "The Magic Horse". Ah, the treasures you find searching through old trunks.

So without any further adieu, I present to you a couple humble beginnings...

Circa 1972 - Six years old - Grade one school work


Circa 1978 - 12 years old - head study

2 comments:

  1. What a neat thing to do! I have mine stored away in the closet, may have to hunt for them and take another looksee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is spooky...your first set of horse drawings look exactly like mine at that age! Body shape, mane, head everything. Trippy! Like Gail, I'll have to see if I can find my old ones too. Isn't it fun to look back and see where you came from. You certainly have come a long way, I am a big fan of your pencil work!

    ReplyDelete